- May 1st, 2010Unfeatured
For the Crust:
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup almond meal or ground almonds or walnuts
6 tablespoons butter, softened
6 tablespoons cold water
For the Filling:
2 large eggs, 2 large egg whites
1.2 cup evaporated fat-free milk
1/2 cup shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 medium onion, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
4 firm medium tomatoes, sliced
1/4 caup fresh basil leaves, torn
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1. Pulse flour, almond meal, and butter in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Add water and shape dough. Pressi nto a greased pie plate. Bake at 325 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool completely.
2. While crust bakes, whisk eggs, egg whites, and milk in a small bowl. Stir in mozzarella and onion. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Pour half of egg mixture into crust. Layer with tomato, basil, and oregano. Pour remaining egg mixture over herbs, and top with green onions and Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes until set. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional analysis: 238 calories; 14 g fat; 6 g saturated fat; 86 mg cholesterol; 11 g protein; 19 g carbohydrates; 4 g fiber; 162 sodium
- August 1st, 2008Unfeatured
1 packet of yeast (1 1/4 ounces)
1 cup warm water
1 cup basil, packed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 cups whole-wheat flour
1 cup whole oats
1. In a small bowl, dissolve a packet of yeast in warm water, and let stand.
2. In a food processor, pulse basil with olive oil, honey, and garlic powder.
3. Combine yeast and basil mixture with whole-wheat flour and whole oats. Knead into dough, and let rise, about an hour. Bake 30 to 35 minutes at 375 degrees.
Quick Tip: For a savory pizza crust, eliminate the oats and reduce both honey and oil to 1 teaspoon.