- October 1st, 2009Unfeatured
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pound skinless and boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
6 ounces green beans, cut into bite-size pieces
1 cup chopped celery
1 zucchini, sliced
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
1/2 of a 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon paprika
1 to 2 tablespoons raw honey
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons minced raw ginger
2 teaspoons pressed raw garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat for several minutes.
2. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft.
3. Add chicken, and continue to stir occasionally to brown lightly on all sides.
4. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and allow to simmer until vegetables are just tender and chicken is cooked through.
nutrition info per serving (4): 209 calories, 4.7 g fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 55 mg cholesterol, 26.8 g protein, 14.2 g carbohydrates, 2.6 g fiber, 745 mg sodium
- January 1st, 2009Unfeatured
3/4 cup quinoa
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 onions, finely diced
3 carrots, peeled and finely diced
3 stalks celery, finely diced
2 zucchini, finely diced
1/2 cup yellow corn kernels
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons sea salt
12 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
1 28-ounce can whole, peeled tomatoes
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Rinse quinoa well, and drain. Heat large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add quinoa, and stir constantly for 10 minutes, or until the moisture evaporates and the quinoa crackles and becomes golden. Transfer quinoa to a bowl, and set aside.
2. Heat oil in large, heavy stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery. Sauté for 12 minutes. Add zucchini, corn, red pepper, garlic, and salt. Sauté 3 minutes longer, or until vegetables begin to release their juices.
3. Add stock, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the toasted quinoa, and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until quinoa is almost tender.
4. Squeeze the tomatoes into the soup, and add the juices from the can; then stir in the cumin and coriander. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until quinoa is tender.
5. Stir in the cilantro, and season to taste with pepper and more salt, if desired.
nutrition info per serving (10-12): 156 calories; 4 g fat; 1 g saturated fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g protein; 23 g carbohydrates; 152 mg sodium