- February 1st, 2008Unfeatured
1/4 cup reduced-sodium tamari
2 tablespoons agave
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon dried, crushed red pepper
1 3-inch segment gingerroot, grated
1 8-ounce package tempeh, cut into
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped
2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
1. In a small bowl, combine tamari, agave, garlic, and red pepper. Squeeze grated ginger over the bowl to extract juice; discard solids. Stir to mix well.
2. Add tempeh to marinade, stir to coat, and let marinate for one hour at room temperature. Remove tempeh from marinade using a slotted spoon; reserve marinade.
3. In a large skillet, heat oil, and sauté onion and marinated tempeh for fi ve to six minutes, until onions are tender.
4. Wash kale, and shake dry. Add to pan, along with remaining marinade; cover and cook until kale is tender and bright green, three to four minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Transfer to individual plates, and sprinkle with black sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Nutrition info per serving (4): 266 calories; 12 g fat; 2 g saturated fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g protein; 28 g carbohydrates; 3 g fiber; 651 mg sodium