- March 1st, 2013
Comfort foods tend to be less than healthy, but with simple ingredient swaps and healthier cooking techniques, these satisfying foods can be heart-healthy, too. CanolaInfo’s “Comfort Your Heart” recipe collection (found at canolainfo.org) will show you how to do just that.Comfort your heart and stomach with healthy and hearty recipesBy Dawn Jackson Blatner
- July 31st, 2012UnfeaturedWeekly Recipe:NonWeekly
1 1/2 pounds pea pods, trimmed
1 large summer squash, peeled and thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups cremini or white mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Coat bottom of large skillet with olive oil and heat to medium. Add pea pods, mushrooms, and squash. Sauté until vegetables are slightly soft.
- December 1st, 2009Unfeatured
3 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter) or vegetable oil
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup peeled and cubed
4 cups water
1 tablespoon freshly
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon iodized salt (must be iodized on a sattvic diet)
1 1/2 cups dried yellow lentils
2 cups broccoli florets
1 teaspoon brown
2 teaspoons cumin seed
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1. Add 2 tablespoons ghee (or oil), carrots, and squash to a large saucepan. Sauté for 8 minutes.
2. Add water, ginger, turmeric, coriander, salt, and lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for one hour.
3. Add chopped broccoli and an additional cup of water (omit the water if you prefer a thick dal), and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. While broccoli is cooking, toast brown mustard, cumin, and fennel in a skillet over high heat for 1 minute, or until spices become fragrant.
5. Add remaining ghee or oil to the skillet, and sauté 1 minute. Combine with the broccoli and lentil mixture, and serve with basmati rice.
nutrition info per serving: 158 calories; 7.8 g fat; 1.1 g saturated fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 6.2 g protein; 18.6 g carbohydrates; 7.1 g fiber; 417 mg sodium
- April 1st, 2009Unfeatured
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped celery
2 cups chopped leeks (white parts)
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups chopped parsley
2 cups chopped carrots
2 medium potatoes with skin, diced
1 medium parsnip, diced
4 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
6 small zucchini, sliced
4 cups free-range chicken broth
6 cups water
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Add olive oil to a soup pot over medium.
2. Add the celery, leeks, and garlic, and sauté for about 5 to 7 minutes or until the leeks become translucent. Add the chopped parsley.
3. Add carrots, potatoes, parsnip, and squash; cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Add in the sliced zucchini and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
5. Add broth and water. Bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes.
nutrition info per serving: 124 calories; 4 g fat; 1 g saturated fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g protein; 21 g carbohydrates; 6.2 g fiber; 66 mg sodium