Spaghetti Squash Primavera
- August 1st, 2011UnfeaturedWeekly Recipe:NonWeekly
1 medium spaghetti squash
1& 1/2 carrots, diagonally sliced
1/2 cup organic celery, diagonally sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1?1/2 cups shredded cabbage
1 small zucchini, chopped into small pieces
1 16-ounce can pinto beans, no or low salt, drained
1 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes, no salt, drained
1/3 cup apple juice
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup pasta sauce, no or low salt
1 head romaine lettuce leaves (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Remove seeds with a small spoon. Place both halves upside down on a baking sheet, and bake for 45 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook carrots and celery in 2 tablespoons of water in a covered pan over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add garlic, cabbage, and zucchini and cook, covered, for another 10 minutes, adding more water as needed. Stir in remaining ingredients, except for pasta sauce. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
4. Remove squash from the oven when done. Using a fork, scrape spaghetti-like strands from squash into a bowl. Add pasta sauce and combine by mixing thoroughly.
5. Gently mix the vegetables into the squash and sauce. Serve on a bed of shredded romaine lettuce, if desired, or place back in hollowed-out squash hulls.
nutrition info per serving: 338 calories; 15 g fat; 2 g saturated fat; 92 mg cholesterol; 35 g protein; 17 g carbohydrates; 3 g fiber; 87 mg sodium