- March 1st, 2009Unfeatured
2 pounds peeled baking potatoes,
cut into 1/4-inch slices
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound lean ground turkey breast
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups no-salt-added tomato sauce
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 egg white
1 10 oz package frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 cup shredded part-skim
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Coat potato slices with olive oil, and layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until slices are firmly tender and beginning to brown on the edges. Remove, and set aside.
3. In a nonstick skillet, cook turkey, onion, and garlic, browning meat. Drain fat. Return to burner, adding tomato sauce and herbs. Cover, and let simmer.
4. In a medium bowl, mix ricotta and cottage cheeses, egg, and spinach.
5. Arrange half the potato slices in a 9-by-13-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Spread with half of the spinach-cheese mixture. Top with half of the meat sauce and half of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers, and if desired, sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
nutrition info per serving (8): 434 calories; 15 g fat; 7 g saturated fat; 101 mg cholesterol; 33 g protein; 46 g carbohydrates; 4 g fiber; 327 mg sodium