- January 1st, 2009Unfeatured
1 pound sweet potatoes, scrubbed
1 medium carrot, peeled
and thinly sliced
1/2 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon tahini
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wrap the sweet potatoes in foil, and roast for 50 minutes or until cooked through. Uncover, and let sit for 10 minutes. Remove the skin, and chop the potatoes into medium-size pieces.
2. In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Add the carrot and onion, return to a boil, reduce the heat, simmer for 10 minutes. Do not drain; set aside.
3. In a food processor, combine the sweet potato, the carrot-onion mixture with the cooking liquid, and the remaining ingredients. Puree until smooth. Refrigerate, covered, till ready to serve or for up to three days.
nutrition info (per 1/4 cup): 63 calories; 0.9 g fat; 0.1 g saturated fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 1.2 g protein; 12.9 g
- September 1st, 2008Unfeatured
3 tablespoons unfiltered honey, softened if hard
2 teaspoons lemon zest (grated peel)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon walnut oil
Dash cinnamon, dash ground ginger
Pinch ground nutmeg, pinch salt
6 cups baby spinach
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced into rounds
1 orange or medium grapefruit
1/4 cup chopped raw walnuts
Pinch cinnamon (for garnish)
1. Whisk the dressing ingredients in a small dish until emulsified.
2. Arrange the spinach on a large platter and top with the red onion rounds.
3. Remove the stem and opposite end of the orange with a sharp knife. Lay the orange flat side down, and slice the skin off in 1- or 2-inch sections from top to bottom, taking care not to remove too much of the fruit. Turn the orange so the flat ends face to the sides. Slice the orange into 1/4-inch rounds, and quarter each round.
4. Arrange the oranges in a decorative fashion over the spinach and onions. Drizzle the salad generously with the dressing, and sprinkle with the chopped walnuts and cinnamon.
Nutrition info per serving (4): 162 calories; 9 g fat; 1 g saturated fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g protein; 22 g carbohydrates; 3 g fiber; 38 mg sodium