Healthy chocolate cake
- October 1st, 2010Unfeatured
1 2/3 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons baking soda
3 1/2 cups pitted dates, divided
1 cup pineapple chunks in own juice, drained
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup shredded beets
3/4 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup shredded zucchini
3 tablespoons natural cocoa powder
1/2 cup currants
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup raw macadamia nuts or raw cashews, unsalted
1 cup vanilla soy milk
2/3 cup pitted dates
1/3 cup brazil nuts or hazelnuts
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. In a blender or food processor, puree 3 cups of the dates and all the pineapple, banana, and applesauce.
3. Slice remaining dates into ½-inch thick pieces. In a large bowl, mix sliced dates, beets, carrots, zucchini, cocoa powder, currants, walnuts, water, vanilla and flour mixture.
4. Add the blended fruit mixture to the flour mixture, and mix well. Spread in a 9.5 x 13.5 nonstick baking pan. Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. To make the icing, combine all the icing ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Spread icing evenly over warm cake and serve.
nutrition info per serving: 300 calories; 12 g fat; 6 g saturated fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g protein; 44 g carbohydrates; 7 g fiber; 13 mg sodium