- November 1st, 2008Unfeatured
1 1/4 cup flour, plus extra for dusting
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup date sugar
1 large egg
2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup ground walnuts
1 tablespoon fruit-only preserve
(TIP: To substitute agave nectar for date sugar, increase regular flour by 1/4 to 1/2 cup—enough to make dough less sticky.)
1. Whisk flours, baking soda, and spices in a bowl, and set aside.
2. Beat butter, molasses, and date sugar with a mixer until fluffy. Reduce speed, and add egg, orange juice, and vanilla.
3. Gradually stir in flour mixture until combined. Shape into a ball, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate an hour or more.
4. Roll out dough on a floured surface, and cut as desired. Place on baking sheets, and bake at 350 degrees for 7 to 8 minutes.
5. Decorate with nuts and preserves.
Nutrition info per serving (1 cookie): 67 calories; 2 g fat; 1 g saturated fat; 10 mg cholesterol; 1 g protein; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g fiber; 6 mg sodium