complementary and alternative medicine
- January 1st, 2015
Complementary and alternative medicine therapies are often used alongside conventional treatments for cardiovascular disease, hypertension, and high cholesterol. One study indicated that patients with CVD and the associated risk factors actually make more use of CAM therapies—specifically natural products and mind-body practices—than the rest of the population.
- September 1st, 2014
The movement for complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) is famous for its consumer base. The rising tide of our collective personal choices overflowed conventional medicine’s barriers, so the medical industry was pushed to explore what was going on.By John Weeks
- July 1st, 2014
This last spring, Josephine Briggs, MD, the director of what has been called the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), asked for public comment on a proposed name change for the agency. Briggs proposed that NCCAM be renamed the National Center for Research in Complementary and Integrative Health (NCRCIH).The search for the proper term to describe alternatives to conventional medicineBy John Weeks
- March 1st, 2014
Those who grow up experiencing medicine and medical treatment as pharmaceuticals, diagnostic procedures, and surgery can have trouble with the idea of “positive side effects.”By John Weeks
- September 1st, 2013
Lately I have been suggesting to whoever is in earshot that each of us should be doing our best to develop a profound sense of professional inadequacy in all health practitioners.
Strange goal, one might think. Who would choose a practitioner who feels fundamentally insecure about his or her ability to assist patients and clients?By John Weeks
- May 1st, 2013
Worldwide only 10 to 30 percent of health care is provided by what most of us in the US would recognize as a doctor or nurse—someone trained in science-based medicine. The remainder, upwards of 70 percent of the human race, seeks to treat illness by way of folk practitioners using treatment traditions often very different from our own.Understanding the role of complementary and alternative medicineBy Hana R. Solomon, MD
- May 1st, 2013
A new type of doctor has emerged in the realm originally known as alternative medicine. This new entry on the scene is a “doctor of integrative medicine.”By John Weeks
- January 1st, 2013
The overlapping fields of complementary, holistic, natural, whole-person, alternative, and integrative health and medicine can seem unruly, confusing, and impossible to get your mind around. With literally hundreds of approaches, therapies, and disciplines in the mix, how do you organize your relationship to it?By John Weeks
- September 1st, 2012
What is the most common type of Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) treatment that mid-life women in the United States use to maintain their health?
- March 1st, 2012
The spark that became the Annie Appleseed Project (annieappleseedproject.org) ignited with the diagnosis of a single cancer patient nearly 20 years ago.Organization seeks to move alternative therapies into the mainstream through its website and conferences.