- March 1st, 2011Unfeatured
4 lbs chicken
12 peeled, sliced garlic cloves
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vinegar
Brown chicken in a large skillet and drain the fat. Add garlic cloves to the skillet along with 1/2 cup of soy sauce, water, and vinegar. Add coarsely ground pepper to taste, then cover and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes until the chicken is tender, turning once.
- January 1st, 2011Unfeatured
1 pound chicken
1 large grapefruit, ruby red
Salt and Pepper to taste
Garlic powder to taste
Prepare chicken in a baking pan (any chicken parts will work, in addition to a whole chicken). Use 1 large grapefruit for each pound of chicken. Cut the grapefruit in half. Squeeze the juice from 1/2 grapefruit over the chicken. Peel the remaining half and cut into medium-sized pieces and arrange around, under, and on top of the chicken.
Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Roast at 400 degrees for 15 minutes per pound of chicken, being sure to baste chicken with juice half way through the total cooking time.
- October 1st, 2009Unfeatured
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pound skinless and boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
6 ounces green beans, cut into bite-size pieces
1 cup chopped celery
1 zucchini, sliced
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
1/2 of a 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon paprika
1 to 2 tablespoons raw honey
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons minced raw ginger
2 teaspoons pressed raw garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat for several minutes.
2. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft.
3. Add chicken, and continue to stir occasionally to brown lightly on all sides.
4. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and allow to simmer until vegetables are just tender and chicken is cooked through.
nutrition info per serving (4): 209 calories, 4.7 g fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 55 mg cholesterol, 26.8 g protein, 14.2 g carbohydrates, 2.6 g fiber, 745 mg sodium
- September 1st, 2008Unfeatured
1 cup onion, diced
2 teaspoons hot olive oil
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup chicken rboth
1 cup figs, diced
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 chicken breasts, grilled or sautéed
1. In a saucepan, brown diced onion in hot olive oil and sprinkle with flour. Add chicken broth, diced figs, and dry white wine, and cook on low for 20 minutes or until thick.
2. Serve over grilled or sautéed chicken sprinkled lightly with salt and pepper.
- September 1st, 2008Unfeatured
1 yellow onion, diced
3/4 cup chopped parsley plus a little more for garnish
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon mild paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt (check sodium content of stock)
1 teaspoon agave nectar or sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus another tablespoon for drizzling
6 to 8 chicken thighs, bone in, with skins
1 cup chicken stock or water
1 teaspoon lemon zest (grated peel)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup Gaeta or Kalamata olives, pits in
1. Mix the onion, parsley, spices, salt, and agave nectar in a medium bowl.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken in a single layer, and cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side until slightly browned.
3. Add the stock and onion mixture. Bring the stock to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook gently for 20 minutes until the chicken is tender and no pink flesh remains.
4. Place the chicken on a platter. Turn the heat up to medium-high, and let the sauce simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until reduced slightly. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, and olives.
5. Spoon the sauce over the chicken. Drizzle with olive oil, and garnish with the remaining parsley.
Nutrition info per serving (4): 297 calories; 22 g fat; 5 g saturated fat; 72 mg cholesterol; 18 g protein; 8 g carbohydrates; 2 g fiber; 459 mg sodium
- August 1st, 2008Unfeatured
1 pound chicken tenderloins
4 whole-grain pitas
For The Souvlaki Marinade
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh (or 1/2 teaspoon dried) oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
For The Tzatziki Sauce
1 cup plain yogurt (see recipe above)
1/2 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, shredded
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced fresh mint leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. In a bowl, combine marinade ingredients. Add chicken, and mix well to coat. Marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.
2. Soak skewers in water for 30 minutes, and heat grill to medium. Thread chicken onto skewers, and grill four minutes on each side.
3. Combine ingredients for tzatziki in a small bowl. Serve with the chicken in pitas
Nutrition info per serving (4): 233.8 calories; 9.4 g fat; 2 g saturated fat; 69.4 mg cholesterol; 29.8 g protein; 7 g carbohydrates; 0.5 g fiber; 408.6 mg sodium
- April 1st, 2008Unfeatured
For the Dressing:
1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt, pepper to taste
For the Salad:
6 cups spinach leaves
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onions
3 Roma tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1/2 cup baby carrots, cut matchstick thin
1/3 cup dried cherries
1/3 cup shelled pistachios
2 tablespoons whole-wheat fl our
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 teaspoon lime zest
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 large chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
Juice of 1/2 lime
1. Zest orange and lime, setting aside 1 teaspoon orange zest and 1/2 teaspoon lime zest. Juice orange and 1/2 of lime, reserving second half for chicken.
2. Using a food processor, add juices, zests, cilantro, honey, and mustard. Pulse until well mixed. Add olive oil, a little bit at a time, and pulse until emulsified. Add cayenne, salt, and pepper to taste.
1. Mix first seven ingredients in a bowl.
2. In a separate, small bowl, mix flour, fruit zests, and cayenne.
3. Pound the chicken breasts to 1/2- to 3/4-inch thickness and dredge in flour mixture.
4. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. After one minute, add oil and chicken breasts. Turn every two minutes, cooking for 10 minutes. Squeeze the juice of half a lime over the chicken. Remove from heat, slice, add to salad, toss with dressing, and serve.
Nutrition info per serving (4): 451 calories; 22.4 g fat; 3.2 g saturated fat; 68.4 mg cholesterol; 33.1 g protein; 31.5 g carbohydrates; 5.5 g fiber; 157.6 mg sodium