Herbal-Infused Apple Gluten-Free Muffins
Herbal Infusion Water Mix
1 stick cinnamon; or 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
8 cloves, whole
1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and diced
1 1/2 cups water*
*Use 1/4 cup of the infusion in recipe and drink the rest (it has a wonderful taste and benefit)
2 tablespoons organic butter; may substitute 1 tablespoon with water
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup walnuts
2 cups diced, semi-sweet apples (try Fuji or yellow apples, organic recommended)
1 tablespoon raw sugar
1/2 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
* This also makes a great topping over ice cream or frozen bananas
3 cups gluten-free oat flour
1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup raw sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
6 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 eggs; may substitute 2 tablespoons grape-seed veganaise
2 tablespoons organic butter
1. Grease twelve 21/2-inch muffin cups or line with paper liners; set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. To make herbal infusion, combine 1 stick cinnamon, 8 cloves, and 1-inch peeled ginger in 11/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes to infuse spices. Strain and set aside.
4. In a medium saucepan, combine apple mix. Melt butter over low heat. Add the raisins, walnuts, apples, sugar, butter, and cinnamon; stir. Heat for 5 minutes. Set aside.
5. In a large mixing bowl, stir together muffin mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, eggs, coconut oil, butter, and salt until moistened. Slowly add in 1/4 cup water from herbal infusion while mixing ingredients until reaching a smooth consistency.
6. Fold in apple mix. Chop and add 1/2 inch ginger from infusion to mixture.
7. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake for 15 to18 minutes or until golden.
8. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.