Grilled Black Bean Burgers and Portobello Burgers With Rosemary and Avocado
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1 cup finely chopped portobello mushroom
1 egg, beaten
2 large garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary leaves
Dash cayenne pepper
Sea salt to taste
3/4 cup gluten-free bread crumbs or cracker crumbs, finely crumbled
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 gluten-free buns
1 small avocado, peeled and sliced
8 to 12 leaves red leaf, green leaf, or butter lettuce
1. Mash beans in a medium bowl, using a potato masher, until most of the beans are mashed, but some remain visible. Mash in onion, mushroom, and egg, mixing well. Mash in garlic, rosemary, and cayenne. Add salt and more cayenne, as needed.
2. Add 1/2 cup bread crumbs and stir to mix well. Mixture should be sticky, but hold its shape. Add additional 1/4 cup bread crumbs, if needed.
3. With damp hands, form bean mixture into 4 patties. Transfer each burger to a plate, and brush tops lightly with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
4. Preheat broiler to high. Lightly brush a baking sheet with remaining olive oil, and arrange burgers on sheet. Broil for 7 to 8 minutes, turn patties over, and broil for 7 minutes on the other side. While burgers are cooking, split buns in half. Place bottom halves on a serving platter and top with avocado. Tear lettuce and arrange on bottom halves.
5. Remove burgers from oven, place on buns, and serve immediately.
nutrition info per serving: 565 calories; 19 g fat; 2 g saturated fat; 47 mg cholesterol; 17 g protein; 10 g fiber; 164 mg sodium