Grain and Vegetable "Meat" Loaf
1 cup millet
2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
1 1/2 cups soy granules
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced shallots
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped zucchini
1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers
1/2 cup white wine
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 cup julienned fresh basil
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
2 teaspoons of tamari soy sauce
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 1/2 cups cooked lentils, pureed
2 tablespoons egg whites (from 1 egg)
Sea salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Simmer the millet in 2-1/2 cups of water for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover, and let stand for 20 minutes. Fluff the millet with a fork before using.
2. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, bring 1 cup of water to a boil with the soy sauce. Add the soy granules. Remove the pot from the heat, and let it sit covered for 10 minutes. Fluff the granules with a fork before using.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and shallots, and cook, stirring, until golden, about 1 minute. Add the onions, zucchini, and red peppers, and cook, stirring, for 4 to 6 minutes. Add the wine, coriander, basil, and parsley. Simmer until the liquid is reduced 75 percent, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
4. Mix soy sauce into cooked rice.
5. Add the rice, lentils, soy granules, millet, and egg white to the sautéed vegetables, and season with salt and black pepper to taste. Mix thoroughly.
6. Spray a nonstick loaf pan with canola oil spray, and firmly press the mixture into the pan. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool for 20 to 30 minutes before slicing.
nutrition info (8): 236.1 calories; 3.2 g fat;1.1 g saturated fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 23.6 g protein; 33.9 g carbohydrates; 276 mg sodium