Dal with Winter Vegetables
3 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter) or vegetable oil
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup peeled and cubed
4 cups water
1 tablespoon freshly
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon iodized salt (must be iodized on a sattvic diet)
1 1/2 cups dried yellow lentils
2 cups broccoli florets
1 teaspoon brown
2 teaspoons cumin seed
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1. Add 2 tablespoons ghee (or oil), carrots, and squash to a large saucepan. Sauté for 8 minutes.
2. Add water, ginger, turmeric, coriander, salt, and lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for one hour.
3. Add chopped broccoli and an additional cup of water (omit the water if you prefer a thick dal), and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. While broccoli is cooking, toast brown mustard, cumin, and fennel in a skillet over high heat for 1 minute, or until spices become fragrant.
5. Add remaining ghee or oil to the skillet, and sauté 1 minute. Combine with the broccoli and lentil mixture, and serve with basmati rice.
nutrition info per serving: 158 calories; 7.8 g fat; 1.1 g saturated fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 6.2 g protein; 18.6 g carbohydrates; 7.1 g fiber; 417 mg sodium