- August 13th, 2013
Childhood obesity is a nightmare, and now there’s more bad news: Overweight kids are consuming far more calories than their doctors or parents realize. That’s according to a new study published in The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology.
- August 12th, 2013Former Green Bay Packer Aaron Taylor and the AASM Warn About Sleep Apnea Danger among High School and College Football Players
As high school and college football teams continue practicing for the fall season, the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) is advising parents, coaches, and school administrators that young football players are at increasing risk of sleep apnea.
- August 12th, 2013Singles and Couples Can Make the Most out of Summer with Eight Hot Tips
The lyrics of the Drifters classic summer song, Under the Boardwalk say, “Ooh, under the boardwalk, down by the sea, yeah...On a blanket with my baby is where I’ll be.” That song is written about summertime magic, where you might meet a special someone by the boardwalk for a fun fling or keep the magic in your relationship.
- August 12th, 2013
Perfect attendance is a real challenge for schoolchildren with asthma and allergies. Even so, many doctors, school nurses, and parents believe it’s well within reach for the millions of children heading back to school with these conditions.
- August 9th, 2013In Light of Food Poisoning Outbreaks, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Highlights Free Resources to Help Reduce Food Poisoning Risk
Food poisoning causes 48 million illnesses in the US each year. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics encourages everyone to reduce their risk with simple safety steps from www.HomeFoodSafety.org and by downloading the free Is My Food Safe?
- August 9th, 2013Anesthesiologists Call it “Game Changer”
Technology seen in sci-fi movies is being implemented in the real medical world. For more than 100 million Americans affected by chronic pain, a new FDA-approved neurostimulation treatment can help manage that pain—in many cases without the need for pain medication.
- August 9th, 2013
August is National Breastfeeding Month.
- August 9th, 2013National Pest Management Association Urges Caution When Dealing With These Dangerous Pests
As summer slowly begins to wind down, stinging insects are entering into their most active time of year as they forage for food that will sustain them during the winter.
- August 8th, 2013Rare exotic bloom causes big stink at Pittsburgh’s premier public garden.
In late August 2013 at Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, one of the world’s rarest, largest, and smelliest flowers, the legendary corpse flower (Amorphophallus titanum), is set to bloom.
- August 8th, 20132013 Breastfeeding Hall of Excellence Inductees Announced
Medela today announced the induction of three honorees to the Breastfeeding Hall of Excellence. The inductees—Sherry Payne, MSN, RN, CNE, IBCLC; David Duresky; and V.