Health and Wellness
- March 30th, 2012Eatbetteramerica.com profiles healthy restaurants and recipes, offers new survival guide series
Need to find a nutritious snack at the gas station? Pouring over the menu for a dinner dish that won’t sabotage the diet?
April Is Parkinson's Disease Awareness Month: Take Control With Brain-Healthy Nutrition, Exercise, and Healthy Coping Strategies to Manage SymptomsMarch 30th, 2012
There is evidence-based support that re-focused nutrition, exercise, and healthy emotional coping strategies may play roles in maintaining optimal health while living with Parkinson's disease and other neurodegenerative disorders like multiple sclerosis.
Veterans with Disabilities Take Rehabilitation to New Elevations at the 26th Annual Winter Sports ClinicMarch 30th, 2012
This week, nearly 400 Veterans will hit the slopes for the 26th National Disabled Veterans Winter Sports Clinic, taking place in Snowmass Village, Colo., March 25 - 30.
- March 30th, 2012Gluten Free Matzo and Companion Cookbook Launched Just in Time for Passover
Jessica Katz was suffering. Every time her family enjoyed a traditional Passover Seder, she had to pass on the matzo and matzo ball soup because of the Celiac disease that made her unable to digest wheat and gluten. Celiac disease affects about 1 in 130 people and according to the American Journal of Gastroenterology, Jews experience gluten allergies at significantly higher rates!
- March 29th, 2012Regulatory Fight Could Turn Ugly as Congress Seeks to Overhaul Cosmetics Regulations
In response to public pressure from recent scandals including mercury in face cream, lead in lipstick, and formaldehyde in hair products, the House Energy and Commerce Health Subcommittee yesterday convened the first Congressional hearing in 30 years on the safety of cosmetics and personal care products.
- March 29th, 2012Fitness industry leader shares tips on how to reduce injury risk during popular exercises
The countdown to summer has begun, and many are flocking to the gym to get back into bathing suit shape. The American Council on Exercise (ACE) reminds excercise enthusiasts of the importance of safety when starting a new fitness program or ramping up a workout regimen.
- March 29th, 2012Special feature highlights cancers associated with excess weight and lack of sufficient physical activity
Death rates from all cancers combined for men, women, and children continued to decline in the United States between 2004 and 2008, according to the Annual Report to the Nation on the Status of Cancer, 1975-2008. The overall rate of new cancer diagnoses, also known as incidence, among men decreased by an average of 0.6 percent per year between 2004 and 2008.
Nordic Naturals Introduces 100 percent Vegetarian, non-GMO Borage Oil for Natural Anti-Inflammatory SupportMarch 29th, 2012
Nordic Naturals introduces Nordic GLA, a vegetarian borage oil made exclusively from non-GMO cold-pressed borage seed grown in New Zealand. Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA) is a beneficial omega-6 fatty acid that occurs naturally in plants.
- March 28th, 2012Canada's first-ever physical activity and sedentary behaviour guidelines for the early years released
Children aged four and under should move more and sit less every day as recommended by the first-ever Canadian Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviour Guidelines for the Early Years.
- March 28th, 2012As Tick Population Increases, More Americans At Risk for Life Altering Disease
For more than 250,000 Americans, the bite of a deer tick meant the start of a life changing disease. Record warm temperatures and a decrease in the food supply for the deer ticks that carry the disease mean a surge in Lyme disease cases this year, according to Lyme experts.