- August 23rd, 2013Grill Ranks as the Number One Must Have Item for a Tailgate Party
According to the 24th annual Weber GrillWatch™ Survey*, the top three must-have items among grill owners for a proper tailgating party are a grill (82 percent), food (80 percent) and a cooler (80 percent). Chairs (76 percent) and alcoholic beverages (66 percent) round out the top five. Just half of grill owners (50 percent) consider tickets to the game a must-have item.
- August 23rd, 2013
To beat the heat during the hot months of summer, we often turn to cold drinks and frozen treats. However, for many people, that sip of an iced beverage or a spoonful of ice cream can trigger a painful sensation in their exposed teeth. Experiencing this type of reaction may indicate you have hypersensitivity or “sensitive teeth.”
- August 23rd, 2013Check feet daily, say orthopaedic foot and ankle MDs
If you’re among the 18 million Americans who’ve been diagnosed with diabetes, you may know that foot care is extremely important. Nervous system impairment or neuropathy is a major complication of diabetes that can cause you to lose feeling in your feet. This means you may not know right away if you have hurt yourself, which could lead to infection.
- August 22nd, 2013New campaign helps educate America on the high-quality protein in each 8 ounce serving of milk
Almost two-thirds (57 percent) of Americans say they’re trying to get more protein in their diet, but most people underestimate the importance of both getting protein at breakfast and the protein prowess of one of breakfast’s most popular staples: milk. An 8-ounce glass of milk has 8 grams of high-quality protein, which is more protein than in an egg.
Deserving Senior Caregivers to be Rewarded through “Caring for the Caregiver” Program Sponsored by Twilight Wish Foundation and ParentgivingAugust 22nd, 2013Caregiver nominations taken online at www.twilightwish.org until October 15
The national nonprofit Twilight Wish Foundation and Parentgiving are pleased to announce the “Caring for the Caregiver” award. According to a recently released Bureau of Labor Statistics survey, over 39 million Americans provide hours of unpaid care to someone over the age of 65. Caregivers often struggle with their own physical, financial, and mental needs.
- August 22nd, 2013National Sleep Foundation launches comprehensive insomnia resource center
The National Sleep Foundation (NSF) launched a new website today, www.insomnia.sleepfoundation.org, to help individuals who suffer from insomnia. The website is a comprehensive resource containing information on insomnia causes, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment options.
- August 22nd, 2013DSM Nutritional Products and Pop Warner Little Scholars team up to build awareness on importance of nutrition for healthy, active kids
Participation in team sports helps young people gain fundamental skills and values useful for the rest of their lives.
- August 21st, 2013New PREDIMED research suggests eating nuts such as pistachios more than three times per week as part of a Mediterranean diet may provide long-term health benefits
Research has shown pistachios can be an important part of a heart-healthy diet. A new observational cohort study on mortality adds to the good news with evidence that adding tree nuts, such as pistachios, to a healthy Mediterranean diet may help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- August 21st, 2013
Valerie Lull’s new book, “Ten Healthy Teas,” is a portal into the fascinating world of tea. Each section includes a description or history of a particular kind of tea, followed by a collection of recipe ideas.
- August 21st, 2013ResMed Offers Tips for Creating a Family Sleep Schedule; Solutions to Manage Sleep Apnea in Men, Women, and Children
School is right around the corner, and as families switch from the looser schedules of summer to the schedule-driven fall, sleep is a critical factor of that transition.