North American Vegetarian Society Celebrates World Vegetarian Day on October 1 with Contest Kick-off
Vegetarians and interested individuals from around the globe will be joining with the North American Vegetarian Society on October 1st, 2013, for the annual celebration of World Vegetarian Day. Since its inception in 1977, the event has commemorated the health-supporting and life-affirming benefits of vegetarianism. World Vegetarian Day is the annual kick-off of Vegetarian Awareness Month. There are many reasons people choose a vegetarian diet. It has proven health benefits, saves animals’ lives, and helps to preserve the Earth.
To encourage non-vegetarians to give meatless eating a try, the North American Vegetarian Society has developed a contest with cash prizes. Non-vegetarians who pledge to abstain from all meat, fish, and fowl during Vegetarian Awareness Month (October) can enter in a random drawing for monetary prizes. The first-prize winner will receive $1,000. One winner will be chosen in each of the following three categories: one day $250, one week $500, and one month $1,000.
People can enter the “Give Vegetarianism a Try” contest at worldvegetarianday.org
Researchers at Harvard University say red meat can increase your risk of premature death. Eating one serving a day of unprocessed red meat (about the size of a deck of cards) was associated with a 13% increased risk in premature death; eating one serving a day of processed red meat (one hot dog or two slices of bacon) was associated with a 20% increased risk of premature death.
According to a UN report a global shift towards a vegan diet is vital to alleviating world hunger, poverty, and the worst impacts of climate change.
- *Reduce the risk of major killers such as heart disease, stroke, and cancer while cutting exposure to foodborne pathogens.
- *Provide a viable answer to feeding the world’s hungry through more efficient use of grains and other crops.
- *Save animals from suffering as a result of farming practices and from the pain and terror of slaughter.
- *Conserve vital but limited freshwater, fertile topsoil, and other precious resources.
- *Preserve irreplaceable ecosystems such as rainforests and other wildlife habitats .
- *Decrease greenhouse gases that are accelerating climate change.