Milk: Shake It, Stir It, Bottoms Up!
Good old-fashioned milk has always been a part of breakfast, but did you know that it’s also the key ingredient in top party cocktails this season? In time for the holidays, the California Milk Processor Board (CMPB), the creator of Got Milk? and TOMA LECHE, has partnered with mixologist Pablo Moix to bring drink aficionados a taste of the craft cocktail revival. Moix, a dynamic and sought-after consultant at the forefront of the food and beverage scene, modernizes milk-based party cocktails to help fans shake it up during this year’s holiday celebrations.
“Classic cocktails are in and during the holidays milk-based cocktails are the classics,” says Moix, co-owner of Scopa Italian Roots in Los Angeles. “Think of your usual holiday punches. The milk makes them velvety rich and my special recipes spice them up!”
A drink revolutionary and tequila connoisseur, Moix elevates classic milk-based drinks to a sophisticated level with flavorful ingredients that can be found easily in your neighborhood grocery: guava, passion fruit, coffee, lime, nutmeg, and of course milk. Moix’ holiday cocktails may be enjoyed with or without spirits. Recipes, available exclusively on tomaleche.com, include:
- Rumba de Moix – A strong, layered coffee liqueur drink with cola, rum, and ice-cold milk. One will keep you dancing all night long!
- Champola de Guayaba con Tequila – Float away to a tropical paradise with one sip of this silky Caribbean cocktail. Blend milk, ice, guava nectar or fresh guavas, sugar, lemon juice and tequila; serve over ice and garnish with seasonal fruits.
- Choco en las Rocas – The festive chocolate milk cocktail is full of fizz: spike it up for the grownups or keep it sweet for the young and young at heart. Combine rum, lime, sugar, chocolate milk, and orange flower water. Shake well, pour over ice, add soda water, and garnish with chocolate shavings to taste.
- Brandy Alejandro – This traditional cocktail, quite popular in the 20th century, has been revived with the comeback of the modern 1950s bar style. Make it your holiday party favorite! Serve it up in a punch bowl, add brandy or cognac, milk, cacao liqueur, serve over ice, and garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.
- Batida de Maracuya con Tequila – Of Brazilian origin, this creamy passion fruit delight intensifies when blended with tequila, Moix’ signature. Flash blend milk, condensed milk, passion fruit, coconut cream, and tequila. Serve over ice, garnish with fruit, and enjoy.
“Moix’ classic milk-based remakes are great for entertaining at any holiday party,” says Steve James, executive director of the CMPB. “His drinks and cocktails show how versatile milk is as an ingredient for the holidays.”
To learn more about Moix’ holiday milk-based drinks and cocktail recipes, visit www.tomaleche.com.