Independence for Seniors and Family a Growing Issue
The Census Bureau projects that in twenty years nearly 1 in 10 Americans will be 75 or older. Behind them are many millions more, family members and other loved ones who care about–and at times for–those seniors.
Results from numerous surveys reflect a growing number of Americans preferring to age in place, or live as long as they can independently in their homes rather than in senior living facilities, a situation that challenges family members who want to honor the wishes of senior loved ones while still seeing them enjoy safe and comfortable elder years.
The challenge of finding information to help them care for aging loved ones and seeing others with the same dilemma led the founders of Senior Care Corner (www.SeniorCareCorner.com) to create a source of solutions and information for family members and caregivers of seniors.
"Our mission with Senior Care Corner is to provide information on senior living and caregiving that helps visitors make a positive difference in the lives of the seniors in their lives," says Kathy Birkett, Senior Care Corner co-founder. Kathy is a healthcare professional with over 25 years' experience working with seniors and their family members in their homes as well as in nursing homes and other senior living facilities, in addition to her personal experience with senior family members.
Visitors to SeniorCareCorner.com find informative blog posts and podcasts covering many topics of interest to family members and caregivers of seniors. Some of the more popular include:
- >> Understanding Alzheimer's Disease and caring for a loved one with Alzheimer's;
- >> Technology to improve the health, safety and comfort of senior loved ones in their homes, including both current technologies and updates from the annual Consumer Electronics Show;
- >> Reaching and documenting critical healthcare decisions through Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) and other Advance Directives; and,
- >> Living and care options available to seniors and how they and their loved ones can choose the best one for their needs.
- One key focus and objective of Senior Care Corner is getting more seniors on social media to attain the potential benefits, including communication with family, community participation and the discounts that many companies offer.