Hungry Girl Agrees: Potatoes Are Delicious and Nutritious!
What is Hungry Girl Lisa Lillien’s favorite way to enjoy potatoes? “Twice-baked, stuffed with light cheese and veggies – YUM!” says the best-selling author, TV personality, and nationally recognized voice in weight management.
The US Potato Board (USPB) is thrilled to partner with Hungry Girl to encourage nutritious, guilt-free potato eating year-round. To kick off the fall season, Lillien created a recipe that is sure to become a weeknight family favorite, and can even double as an easy appetizer for entertaining: Mashie-Topped Meatloaf Cupcakes. These mini meatloaves are made in a muffin tin for individual-size portion control and are topped with creamy mashed potatoes made with light sour cream.
“How can you not love potatoes? Potassium, vitamin C, fiber, and just 110 calories in a 5.3-oz. skin-on spud,” says Lillien. “With many unique colorful types to choose from and so many ways to prepare them, potatoes ROCK!”
Inspired by Hungry Girl’s creative and guilt-free potato recipe? Hungry Girl and the USPB invite you to enter the Guilt-Free Potato Goodness recipe contest on the Potatoes, Taters & Spuds Facebook page. Simply submit your original, mouth-watering and guilt-free potato recipe for the chance to win a trip for two to Los Angeles, CA, and a meet-and-greet with Hungry Girl herself at her brand-new Hungryland headquarters! Enter the contest by March 28, 2014. Click here for official contest rules.
For further inspiration, Hungry Girl just released her official “Top Ate” reasons to love potatoes:
- 1. Potatoes are seriously satisfying! Get this — a study of nearly 40 common foods found that potatoes deliver the most satisfaction. WOW!
- 2. A 5.3-oz. skin-on spud (the size of a computer mouse) has 45% the daily value of vitamin C and only 110 fat-free calories. Potatoes also have fiber!
- 3. Dining out? Top a plain baked potato with salad-bar goodies like broccoli & salsa… SO good!
- 4. White veggies are underrated and provide key nutrients we need. In fact, potatoes have even more potassium than bananas!
- 5. Gluten-free alert! Potatoes are a great alternative to pasta and bread… You can even make lasagna with spud slices instead of noodles.
- 6. Russets, reds, purples, fingerlings, yellows, whites, and petites… So many delicious possibilities!
- 7. HG Lisa’s favorite way to eat a potato? Twice-baked, stuffed with light cheese and veggies… YUM!
- 8. Potatoes are ALWAYS in season. Put ’em on your grocery list today.
Visit www.potatogoodness.com to learn more about Hungry Girl’s love for potatoes and to find hundreds of healthy and creative potato recipes. You can also sign-up to receive the US Potato Board’s weekly recipe email to receive a new recipe in your email in-box each week.