Herbalife’s Top Ten Tips for Healthy Holidays
Herbalife, a global nutrition company, is reminding everyone across the country that winter office parties and family gatherings don’t have to turn into extra pounds this holiday season.
According to Samantha Clayton, Herbalife’s director of worldwide fitness and education, it’s all about minimizing impact. “No matter where you are on your personal wellness journey, think twice before overindulging during the next few weeks. My advice is to, at the very least, try to break even and maintain your current body weight this holiday season. It’s amazing how easily you can gain a lot of weight in such a short amount of time. Although weight gain is as easy as consuming a few too many pieces of pie, taking off those pounds come January is a much harder task.”
To keep those calories from creeping on this holiday season, Herbalife is sharing these top 10 tips:
1. No savings: Don’t cut down or starve all day to enjoy the party at night. Skipping your breakfast and lunch is not a good way to avoid weight gain. There are many reasons why this is not a good tactic: a drop in blood sugar, lack of energy and lack of concentration are just a few of the downfalls of the “starve and binge” technique. Chances are, if you wait all day to enjoy the party foods, you will consume twice the amount because you will be so hungry.
2. Snacks: Have a healthy protein-rich snack before you head out to a holiday party. Filling yourself up on healthy snacks that contain protein will keep you full and stop you from having that extra cup cake.
3. Move around: Use holiday parties as an opportunity to socialize with your friends. Keep walking around and don’t park next to the chips and dips. Walking counts as exercise—the more you move, the better.
4. Dance: Let loose and dance off the party calories; the extra bonus is that the more time you spend dancing the less time you will spend eating.
5. Routine: Don’t skip your workouts. The best thing you can do is keep your exercise routine intact. We all know holiday diets can go awry, but if you can at least keep your workouts going it will help.
6. Watch your drinks: Try to avoid drinking too many sweet drinks. It’s amazing how many calories can be hiding in a simple holiday punch (or eggnog). Staying hydrated with water helps.
7. Maximize your time with quick fix workouts: If time is tight try to do a quick 10-minute routine in the morning and another 10 minutes before you go to bed. Simple exercises performed in an interval style will help burn some calories and keep you toned over the holidays.
8. Step away from the computer: Sitting in front of your computer screen looking for that bargain may cost you in the long run. Stay active this holiday season by walking around the shops and carrying bags or boxes doubles up as a workout.
9. Make every minute count: Think active all holiday season. Take the stairs. Park in the furthest spot from the store. Get outside and go for a walk. The more active you are, the fewer pounds you will gain.
10. Get started today: Don’t wait until January 1st to start your exercise plan—start today. The sooner you get your body into a positive active and healthy routine the better chance you have of reaching your personal health goals.