April Is National Foot Care Health Month
April is National Foot Care Health Month, as designated by the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA). Shoe Care Innovations Inc, makers of the SteriShoe sanitizer, provides 10 important foot facts that most people don't know and reminds people to step into a clean shoe for optimal foot health and hygiene.
1) The human foot has more than 250,000 sweat glands and sweats up to 8 ounces per day.
2) Sweat and heat in our shoes create a breeding ground for germs that cause athlete's foot, toenail fungus and smelly shoes.
3) Shoes are the only article of clothing that we do not wash, but they are clinically proven to harbor germs.
4) There are more microbes on the feet than on our hands or in our armpits.
5) In 1954, the Journal of Investigative Dermatology stated "it appears to me almost futile to attempt to treat a patient's feet without doing something about his shoes, which…serve as potential reservoirs of reinfection."
6) In July 2012, the Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association stated "the SteriShoe ultraviolet shoe sanitizer was shown to be effective in reducing the fungal burden in shoes. These findings have implications regarding the ability to address the footwear environment as a means of breaking the foot infection cycle."
7) Approximately 35 million Americans have toenail fungus according to the APMA.
8) One in 10 people in North America reportedly have athlete's foot.
9) A currently available laser treatment for toenail fungus shows promising results. Before spending $100's on a laser fungus treatment, be sure to kill a major cause of foot fungus; the germs in shoes.
10) Treating an infection on the foot should include wearing a sanitized shoe.
"Every step we take compresses the sock and squeezes the germs and sweat back and forth between the foot and the shoe. There has been no way to clean the inside of our shoes, until the SteriShoe sanitizer, so we don't think about what's growing inside them," says Adam Ullman, president and CEO of Shoe Care Innovations.