10,000 Reasons

Avoid VOCs.

Typical household paint contains up to 10,000 chemicals! Many of those are proven to be toxic and some even have links to cancer. Many of the most harmful chemicals are called volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. VOCs are unstable, carbon-containing compounds that readily  vaporize into the air. When they enter the air, they react with other elements to produce ozone, which causes air pollution and countless health issues including breathing problems, headache, burning and watery eyes, and nausea.

Although VOC levels are highest during and shortly after painting, they can linger in the room for several years. Concentrations of VOCs are consistently higher (up to ten times higher) than outside levels. Make a quick trip to your local hardware store, and swap your paint and stain for no-VOC alternatives—this simple step will go a long way in protecting your health.