Heart problems are the major cause of death in the US. Although medications and surgery get most of the attention for treating heart problems, natural therapies can be highly effective.
There are several key types of heart problems. The major ones are:
1. Angina and heart attacks.
2. Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) caused by heart muscle weakness and manifesting as ankle swelling and shortness of breath on laying flat or exertion. Many researchers suspect a component of this is also occurring in CFS and Fibromyalgia.
3. Heart valve problems.
4. Abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmias).
For all four of these problems, but especially CHF, both research and clinical experience has shown that several key natural treatments can improve heart muscle efficiency and improve symptoms. Unfortunately, most physicians are not aware of these studies because natural remedies are inexpensive and often cannot be patented. But you can use these treatments safely to feel much better in 6 weeks!
The heart is the hardest working muscle in the body. With heart failure, the muscle is weakening. With angina, there may not be heart muscle weakness, but increasing heart efficiency can decrease its work and therefore the tendency to chest pain and abnormal heart rhythms as well. Fortunately there are many natural ways to improve heart muscle function.
The key treatments for these heart problems that I use in my practice, including for abnormal heart rhythms and angina, but especially for congestive heart failure, are (in combination):
- Ribose. This powder that looks and tastes like sugar is a key to energy production in the body — including the heart. This nutrient is outstanding for heart disease and is the most important one. You will likely be amazed after 6 weeks on it! (For more on Ribose, see “Ribose — to Turbo Charge Energy Production.”)
- CoEnzyme Q10. This nutrient is especially critical for anyone on cholesterol lowering medications, even if there is no heart problem,as these medications cause CoEnzyme Q10 deficiency, and this nutrient is critical for energy production. (For more on CoQ10, see “CoEnzyme Q10 and Energy Production.”)
- Magnesium. Magnesium not only increases your heart muscles strength, but also markedly decreases the tendency to abnormal heart rhythms.
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine. Acetyl L-Carnitine is an amino acid the body uses to turn fat into energy. It is not normally considered an essential nutrient because the body can manufacture all it needs. However, supplemental Carnitine may improve the ability of certain tissues to produce energy. This effect has led to the use of Carnitine in various muscle diseases as well as heart conditions. (For more on this, see “Acetyl-L-Carnitine.”)
- Magnesium Orotate. Although much of the benefit comes from the magnesium, it is likely that a large benefit also comes from the orotate, and magnesium orotate is readily available online.
Give these nutrients six weeks to see the optimal effects. The benefits for heart health are often dramatic! The products are readily available in most health food stores.
Love and Blessings,
Jacob Teitelbaum M.D.